Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fire at Notre Dame

This morning, while eating breakfast, I looked out the window and noticed black smoke in the air. I asked Chris if the smoke was coming from a chimney, but he couldn't see from where he was seated. So he got up, looked out the kitchen window, and said "It's coming from Notre Dame!" I jumped up and looked out and saw the smoke.

Chris looked online, thinking that sometimes Catholics will do smoke if the Pope has died, but I didn't think that was the case. Sure enough, nothing on the internet told us what was going on.

I grabbed my camera and took a picture so I could zoom in and see where the smoke was coming from. It was coming out of a window near the dome. I asked Chris if we should notify someone about it, but he figured that everyone in the city would see it too and call the fire department.

The smoke stopped before we even finished breakfast.

This afternoon, we looked on the Provencal news website, and found out there had been an electrical fire at Notre Dame. They had to evacuate some people, but no one was hurt, and very little damage was reported.

Tonight, Notre Dame is dark. It's very strange looking out and not seeing the glowing lights.

No comments: